Saturday, December 11, 2010

I want a Black and Red Computer and other Computer Related Ramblings

I don't like buying pre-built desktop computers for several reasons, including the fact that the pre-built PC market is mostly dominated by Intel Powered Systems. You see it everywhere. Even Alienware's flagship Desktop PC is Intel-Based (Core i7) and I have a passionate dislike for Intel Processors that stems from my earliest experiences with Computers.

AMD however, has my loyalty right now due to the fact that their Flagship Processor doesn't cost 1000 bucks or even 500 bucks. The Phenom II X6 1100T is stock 3.3 ghz  with 3.7 listed as Turbo and only costs a measly 300 dollars in comparison. Yeah sure, maybe there is some (very shoddy) evidence that Core i7 processors are better for some Applications, but at the same time, they are very, very close and even the most dedicated enthusiast would probably prefer the i7 be several hundred bucks cheaper because for the price of the most expensive/best i7 out there a person could buy nearly every part for the best Phenom II X6 system build ever.

Yeah sure, I have great things in mind for my next build. I've gone through a few motherboards and processors, but at the same time I've been yearning for more. My next build has to be the best and it has to look good.

I did state in my previous rambling that I cannot stand Green and Blue LEDs. The same goes for the rest of the components. Green and Blue are ugly colors. However there are a small number of high end parts that cater towards my preference for Black and Red. Heck, ATi's video cards are all Red and Black these days and there is even the option of Red Liquid Cooling.

As for Cases, well, because I'm looking for a Full Tower, with a large side window, and a Black and Red Theme, it gets very very tough. I've seen cases online where the outside is absolutely gorgeous but the inside is the fugly Grey metal or the inside is wonderful or it's too small or has a a tiny window or just holes in the metal siding instead of a proper window. Even worse are the LED lights. I saw one case that I could have gotten used to in Black and Red but it had these mind-screwing blue LEDs at the top.

So to the world at large out there, if you know of a case manufacturer that sells a Case in Black and Red with a side window that will allow me to look upon my hardware in all it's electronic glory with none of the stupid Blue or Green or dumb colored LED BS, please provide links.

The same goes for other components and I've actually considered waiting a while to see where the market goes with things. I'm eager to learn about AMD's next Eight core processors that are supposed to be better but at the same time dreading having to wait to learn whether clock speeds will take a hit or will come off better than current normal (non-overclocked) speeds.

I mean I've noticed through the years that whenever a new processor comes out it always seems to be clocked in the lower range and slowly the market begins to see faster and faster Ghz, but it all happens over time and I'm not sure I want to wait.

Also a concern about the Octa-core processor codenamed Bulldozer, is the socket type. Will it be AM3? Would it function at similar or better Ghz as the current Phenom II X6 I have in mind? Would the Motherboard Manufacturer I am heavily considering purchasing from release an update for the Bios if it indeed would run on an AM3 socket motherboard with an updated Bios? If not, would I be fine with waiting a while to upgrade again?

I also read somewhere that there's supposed to be PCi-e 3.0 coming out in the near future although that one doesn't really matter so much because that is easier to deal with when it comes to older/newer hardware. A PCi-e 3.0 card would certainly function in a PCi-e 2.0 or older slot albeit not as speedily as it would with it's native interface and the reverse is true. An older 2.0 card would work in a 3.0 slot but only at the highest of it's own native ability.

I already know that when I build my next computer (Not merely upgrading singular components in my current machine) I'll be sinking quite a bit of cash into it because I want a great beast of a machine.

Oh and if anyone is going to chide me for being so color oriented or AMD oriented when it comes to computer parts, yes I know it's not the best choice where performance is concerned but I'm not one of those people who walks out the door with clashing things and with my eyes being so sensitive to colors... Well, It's best for me to go with the colors I don't mind.

Also, Is there anyone out there who replaces LEDs they don't like on components? I know it couldn't be too hard to do with a PC case...

No comments:

Post a Comment