Saturday, December 11, 2010

Is Computer/Game Addiction really Addiction?

We all know that becoming a Drug Addict screws with one's brain/body chemistry. Personally the worst things I've occasionally taken are Alcohol and Marijuana and occasionally smoke Menthol Cigarettes in times of extremely high stress levels when other distractions are not available however I am not addicted to any of those substances. However when Addiction is brought up where Computers are concerned I have to laugh, because there are no chemicals being put in the body from an outside source therefor how can you have a true addiction. 

Well, maybe I'm wrong in a sense. There is such a thing as Sexual Addiction and a Sex Addict doesn't exactly put any chemicals in their body from outside sources. Yes their bodies create hormones, but hey, Orgasms are pleasant experiences; Who wouldn't want to feel Orgasms on a regular basis?

I suppose the same thing applies to Computer Addiction in all it's forms. Internet and Game addictions come to the top of my mind but I suppose there are others. Personally I feel that Game Addiction may have been an issue for me a couple of times, but not in the extreme forms where physical health is compromised  I used to think constantly about Sims 2 and what I would do in the game anytime I wasn't in front of the Computer. However it didn't stop me from doing what needed doing.

However, at the same time, what about other hobbies people have? Certainly there are people who take part in other hobbies that have lead to bad things such as sickness, lack of social health, and even death because they were so into what they were doing they forgot about other things.

But until it reaches that point where both physical and social health are compromised, is it really addiction? Surely the people who go to work/school every day and do the best they can possibly do at those things, but certainly think a lot about what they'll do on their Computer/Game when they get home aren't "true Addicts". Social Health alone is overrated. There are many people that do best in the comfort of a computer chair without personal social interaction. I may even be one of them because I always feel so awkward when talking to someone offline.

Anyway, that's all I've got to really say on the subject. However next up, will be a blog post about the LEDs used in many Electronics.

No comments:

Post a Comment